Hi, we are Steven Rick and Tim Elliott and welcome to the first Episode of the RE podcast.
A podcast where we rethink, replay and remark on all good things to do with branding and marketing. We created this podcast for people to rethink about the marketing and i'ts identity problem in businesses.
Marketers have broken marketing when they went on to increase the bar! They changed the definition beyond recognition in the name of progress and they lost it on the way.
In this episode, we try to define what marketing actually is and try to understand the good and the bad instances of marketing to learn and improve on it.
The major misconceptions about marketing are
1.That it should be there only when the companies are big or at a certain revenue level and number 2, the marketing team is a siloed department, like HR, only called upon when asked.
- Start from inside within your company so that the employees give the customers the customer treatment that you want them to have.
- Should companies allow the marketing department to set the price of the product?
- Marketing should be more than just communication.
- The people in your organisation need to know why they are delivering and what they are delivering any then they will be able to.
- Good marketing involves all the departments of the organisation.
- No one is going to buy just because something came on TV. Just because you came on tv and reached a lot of people doesn’t mean the marketing campaign is good. The conversions matter.
- Start with Why! Always explain why you are doing it and then how you are planning to achieve it.
- In marketing, there should be the ability to pivot easily in bad times and that requires a long term view of planning and not just 1 week plan.
01:12 - What is marketing?
03:45 - Defining marketing
06:00 - Inside out approach
08:55 - PPP combination
11:45 - The messages to your customers.
12:45 - Frustrated marketing
15:30 - MSE marketing
18:45 - Mark Rittson marketing plan
19:45 - Splitting marketing teams
1. Engagement team
2. Future thinkers
23:30 - Connecting the dots
27:55 - The best strategy ever
34:10 - marketing is internal
36:35 - SEO
38:10 - The best of marketing
42:00 - Micheal Owen - 50odd
47:00 - The worst of marketing
- Guinness - Rugby ad
- Guinness - Saint Patricks day ad
- Sonos -Website
- Micheal Owen - LinkedIn , Blog (50Odd)
Contact @stevenrickuk and @Timelliottuk on twitter